The Health Research Unit (Unidade de Investigação em Saúde, UIS), created in 2010, is one of the research units that composes the Institute for Research, Development and Advanced Studies (INDEA), of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria (IPL).
UIS is deeply committed in developing interdisciplinary scientific research studies and activities on health sciences, in order to formulate strategies of promoting a better and improved health among the populations.
Therefore, the objectives of the Health Research Unit (UIS) comprehend:
- The promotion, coordination and support of research projects, according to the priority areas defined by the scientific council of the unit;
- The cooperation with other research groups and institutions that provide health care, health education or other health related services;
- The development of scientific research studies in articulation with programs of advanced graduate and pos-graduated studies,
- The development and implementation of applied research studies focused on the needs of the community;
- The dissemination and spreading of scientific and technological knowledge.
Main research areas
The research studies carried out by the health research unit (UIS) are divided in three main areas, namely in:
- Health education & training
- Evaluation & intervention in health
- Health policy & management
Professor Doctor Maria dos Anjos Coelho Dixe
Head Coordinator of UIS